Saturday, April 11, 2015

My great grandfather's 100th anniversary

Two weeks ago my great grandfather Wladimir would mark 100 years. I am happy to understand that I could talk to him in 2001 and 2003, and ask lots of questions about the past.

He was born in 1915 in Belarus. When he was 3 years old, the Bolsheviks hacked his father to death with sabers. He grew up in a village with his relatives.

My great grandfather met my great grandmother in the Ukraine in 1930s.

When the WWII started, he and his-father-in-law Wilhelm were brought to Germany for a work. He wasn't given a citizenship of the Third Reich but he worked as a driver of an army officer. As a result, after the WWII was finished, he was sentenced for 10 years as Enemy of the Soviet People in 1946. Fortunately, he was back in 1954, two years earlier, thanks to the Khrushchev's amnesty. With Khrushchev's amnesty program, as a former prisoner and his relatives could now live a normal life without the infamous "wolf ticket." 

Below you can see one picture of Wladimir with my great grandmother and my mum on funeral of my great great grandmother Eva Bender (1896-1973):

   


Two pictures with my great grandmother Annetta Schochenmaier (1918-1998) in Orenburg.




No comments:

Post a Comment